I will be embedding a video to my asp.net mvc website. A video on the homepage which will help people to better understand the website. I have never done this. Can anyone tell me whats the best way of doing it. Flash or silverlight??
My suggestion would be to go with Flash and to achieve what you're looking for, utilize swfobject. It's really quite simple to use and has a bunch of options that will be useful when you get more used to using video.
I have had pretty good success using silverlight with the Silverlight 2 Video Player as an example. However, it depends on what your requirements are.
Pros to Silverlight:
- Performs Video Streaming very well
- Easier to develop/customize if you are a .NET developer
- Works on a variety of browser and platforms
Cons to Silverlight:
- Does not support every video media type (the example above only plays .WMV files, Silverlight in general supports .WMV and .MP4)
- Is not installed on as many client machines (less penetration)
- Is not as well known (users may be reluctant to install it compared to Flash)
- Is not as popular so there are less solutions/resources out there
Here is another discussion on the topic.
I've used JW FLV Media Player. I was pretty happy with it, and it's easy to use. Flash-based.
I would go with flash for only one reason: the 99% (or whatever it is today) installed base.
Then go with swfobject or JW FLV Media Player as suggested in the other answers. There is also a jQuery plugin floating around somewhere that helps deal with flash video on a site.